The case of actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death took a new turn on Wednesday when the Supreme Court directed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to investigate and asked Maharashtra Police to assist in the probe. While reading out the judgement, the apex court also upheld the FIR registered in Patna and called the Bihar government competent enough to transfer the case to CBI for investigation. Now, the Mumbai Police will have to hand over all the evidence collected in the case so far to the investigating agency.
As the verdict was pronounced by the court, everyone, from actors to politicians, welcomed the court’s decision in handing over Sushant Singh Rajput case to CBI. Actor Askhay Kumar tweeted, “SC directs CBI to investigate Sushant Singh Rajput’s death. May the truth always prevail 🙏🏻 #Prayers”. Meanwhile, actor Kangana Ranaut tweeted, “Humanity wins, congratulations to each one of SSR warriors, first time I felt such strong force of collective consciousness, AMAZING 👏👏👏#CBITakesOver.”
“Lauding the #SupremeCourt in this decision. The power of prayers and so many wishes manifesting never ceases to amaze me. Hope the truth comes out soon; for the sake of his family, fans, and above all… for his soul to rest in peace Folded hands May justice prevail. #CBIEnquiryForSSR,” tweeted Shilpa Shetty Kundra.
The death of Sushant Singh Rajput case has become a bone of contention between Mumbai police and Bihar Police as the latter alleged Maharashtra Police did not help in the investigation.
While Bihar police demanded transferring the case to CBI, Maharashtra Police insisted on keeping the central agency away. This invited a slug-fest among politicians of both states. Bihar politician Chirag Paswan, who has been advocating for CBI investigation for long, said the truth will surface now. “Not only the truth will surface now but those names will also come out that were behind disrupting investigation in the case. I hope the court’s order has brought relief to #SushantSinghRajput’s family,” said the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief.
NCP leader, Parth Pawar, who was also in favour of handing the case to CBI, tweeted, “Satyamev Jayate.”
Former chief minister of Maharastra Devendra Fadnavis said the decision reaffirms faith in the judiciary. “A decision that boosts faith in the judiciary system! Maharashtra Government now needs to introspect on the way they handled this case. Now, we expect justice in #SushantSinghRajput case and for his fans,” tweeted Fadnavis.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said he is now confident that Sushant Singh Rajput will get justice.
Rashtriya Janata Dal leader, Tejashwi Yadav also welcomed the Supreme Court verdict recommending CBI probe in the case.
The court’s decision came after actor Rhea Chakraborty filed a petition in the apex court to transfer the FIR, filed against her by Sushant’s father in Patna, to Mumbai. In the FIR, Sushant’s father accused Rhea and five others of abetment to suicide, cheating, criminal breach of trust, criminal intimidation and wrongful confinement. The court’s decision was welcomed by Sushant’s family members. They called it a victory. Sushant’s sister Meeta Singh thanked all the fans of Sushant Singh Rajput. She tweeted, “There we go!! Finally!! #CBIForSSR!! #CBITakesOver .. thanks all SSRians And Supporters.”